Making your complaint

Your complaint needs to be in writing. However, we encourage you to telephone us before making your written complaint so we can advise you on the best way to proceed.

Making an enquiry

In the first instance, you should phone the Ombudsman's office to make an enquiry about your concerns with government services. An Enquiry Officer will assist you and determine if your complaint is within the Ombudsman's jurisdiction.

Telephone: (08) 9220 7555 or 1800 117 000 (toll free from landlines)

What to include in your complaint

Your letter, email or complaint form should briefly explain your complaint. Include details such as:

  • Who you are complaining about;
  • What you think has gone wrong;
  • Times and dates;
  • How you have been affected by the issue you are complaining about;
  • Details of telephone conversations and meetings;
  • Copies of relevant documents (eg letters);
  • The names of people you have dealt with;
  • What you have done to try resolve the issue; and
  • The outcome you are seeking.

If you need assistance to write down your complaint, our Enquiries Officers can assist you. Contact us on (08) 9220 7555 or Freecall 1800 117 000 to request assistance.

How to submit your complaint

You can make your complaint by:

Write or fax



Print out and complete the Complaint Form



Mail to: Ombudsman Western Australia
PO Box Z5386
St Georges Terrace

Fax to: (08) 9220 7500


Online complaint form  

Use the Electronic Complaint Form




In most cases the Ombudsman can only deal with complaints from the person who is personally affected by a decision or action taken by an agency. However, if for any reason you are unable to act for yourself the Ombudsman may accept a complaint form from:

  • A legal or other adviser; or
  • A family member or other personal representative.

The Ombudsman may ask the person affected to confirm in writing that they are happy for the representative to act for them. See the Reasons for Representation Form.